Celebrity Cruises has officially taken delivery of its newest ship Celebrity Ascent at the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard in St. Nazaire, France.
The ship is the fourth ship in the line’s innovative Edge Series, with designs by the world’s leading architects and interior designers and culinary excellence from Michelin-starred chefs.
Celebrity Ascent will make her official debut in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on 3rd December, with a 7-night Eastern Caribbean sailing to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and the Dominican Republic.
Welcoming the ship to the Celebrity Cruises family were Royal Caribbean Group President and CEO Jason Liberty, Celebrity Cruises President Laura Hodges-Bethge, and Laurent Castaing, General Manager, Chantiers de l’Atlantique.
Captains Dimitrios Kafetzis and Tasos Kafetzis, the first brother captains honoured with taking a new ship from the shipyard, were also on-hand for the celebration, along with 1,400 Celebrity Ascent crew members.
Several maritime traditions including the signing ceremony and the changing of flags onboard the ship marked the moment, along with a celebratory toast in the ship’s spectacular three-story Grand Plaza.
Liberty said: “Celebrity Ascent is yet another example of innovation driving our mission to provide the best vacations responsibly.
“The ship continues Celebrity’s ambition to redefine premium travel and take it to new heights.
“I want to thank and congratulate the Chantiers de l’Atlantique team, our Newbuild and Celebrity Cruises’ teams and their partners for the vision, craftmanship and passion that went into bringing this spectacular ship to life.”
Hodges-Bethge said: “Celebrity Ascent features all the innovative and award-winning Edge Series signature experiences that launched a new era in cruise ship design, plus a few new enhancements, and I can’t wait to welcome our guests aboard.
“It is a true honour to welcome this ship to our fleet and I am so grateful to everyone involved with all that goes into a launching new ship.”
Chantiers de l’Atlantique General Director Laurent Castaing, said: “I am convinced that Celebrity Ascent will meet the same success as the other ships in the prestigious Edge Series.
“Its fine exterior and interior design and its exceptional seaworthiness make it an outstanding ship.
“Celebrity Ascent embodies the strong bond between the Chantiers de l’Atlantique, Royal Caribbean Group and Celebrity Cruises teams.”
Holiday Experience Highlights
Celebrity Ascent joins sister ship Celebrity Beyond which debuted to great acclaim last year. New experiences and Edge series favourites include:
- The Retreat, an exclusive resort-within-a-resort area for suite guests, highlighted by a two-story sundeck;
- Accommodations for modern tastes from modern two-storey villas with private plunge pools to staterooms with infinite verandas, blurring the boundaries between indoor and outdoor living;
- An expanded Rooftop Garden and stunning Resort Deck featuring unique cantilevered float pools;
- A multi-level, multi-terraced Sunset Bar at the ship’s aft;
- An expanded onboard entertainment program featuring a transformative nightlife experience on the Resort Deck, six new live productions, interactive gaming experiences, and more;
- A redesigned casino floor and brand-new games;
- A new outdoor dining terrace at Blu, the brand’s clean cuisine restaurant for Aqua Class guests, available for al fresco daytime dining;
- A newly designed Le Voyage by Chef Daniel Boulud;
- And, the return of the Magic Carpet®, an engineering feat soaring cantilevered above the sea, offering guests uninterrupted vistas while sipping cocktails or having dinner.
Setting Sail on Celebrity Ascent
Following Celebrity Ascent’s maiden voyage, she will offer a variety of alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean holidays until late April 2024, when she then heads to the Mediterranean for sailings from Barcelona and Rome.
For more information on Celebrity Cruises, or to book a Celebrity cruise, visit www.celebritycruises.co.uk.